It’s no secret being a parent is big business. And companies know it too. Just look around the next time you leave the house to see all the advertising that is directed to “inform and educate” and “make your life easier” – but they all have something in common – they want your money.
Did you know that there is actually a class you can take at just 6 MONTHS OLD to potty train your child? How on earth can that even be possible? Or good for the child? That just sounds like your PAYING to have your child abused.
Along the way, we’ve overcomplicated they system and clogged it full of get-rich quick schemes.
I had the chance to attend a very inspiring parenting conference at the 92Y, and what I learned was that I really am a great parent! What I’m doing is right, and what you’re doing is right too. As parents, we need to listen to each other instead of advertisements telling us what’s best. Here are a few things I realized:
5 Reasons You’re A Better Parent Than You Think
1. Just the fact that you’re reading this article means you’re a great parent. Because you take the time research and learn and make sure you’re doing the best you can – means you are.
2. Cut yourself yourself some slack. And then cut your children some slack. Let them be kids, and actually enjoy being a parent. Stop worrying about if they’re reading enough, listening to Baby Einstein (you know that’s proven NOT to work, right?), and trying to potty train too early. They’ll get there.
3. Have Fun. Instead of telling us everything we do wrong as parents, this conference focused on how we’re actually doing it all right – we just don’t have the confidence in ourselves anymore to believe it. This is due to being hammered with ads and companies telling us we CAN’T do it on our own. But we can. Stop beating yourself up and, as Dr. Edward Hallowell said, “enjoy parenthood and have fun!”Do things with the kids that you love. Parenting isn’t supposed to be all work and no play. Spend the afternoon just exploring and playing with your kids.
4. You’re Enough. When asked, kids overwhelmingly agreed that the #1 thing they wanted most from their parents wasn’t gifts, praise or video games – it was UNDIVIDED ATTENTION. It wasn’t the fact that you forgot to pack their lunch, or burnt dinner. They don’t think you’re overweight, they think you’re beautiful. Children don’t see all the failures of the day, they see the moments you were there with them and what you did with them and/or for them. They’re watching even when you don’t think they are. And they see you as their most favorite person in the world – and that’s enough.
5. You Can Do Something Not Everyone In The World Can Do. You’re raising a child, your molding a life. You’re taking the time EVERYDAY to teach someone else how to be a better person. Being a parent is one of the most selfless acts someone can do. Give yourself a little pat on the back. Not everyone can do it.
Originally seen on MommyNearest.com – Stephanie is the NY Editor of the Mommy Nearest Magazine.