I remember when I was a brand new mom in the city and wondered if it was okay to just pop in for dinner anywhere with Max in tow. Now, I wouldn’t be “popping in” for dinner at Buddahkan anyways, so it wasn’t like I was heading to places I knew were off-limits, but there is just an unspoken rule in the city as to where you “should” take kids.
So this time I wanted to bring to your attention a place you might have overlooked that’s right under your nose: Texas de Brazil – which is right next to Dylan’s Candy Bar and behind Bloomingdales.
The Spread – meat for days
Since I am obsessed with food, especially meat, Brazilian steakhouses are always a great place to experience a lot of different cuts and flavors in one sitting. If you’ve dined with me, you know usually my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I order a little of everything on the menu. You don’t have to worry about that here – they bring all the meats to you! From lamb to Filet Mignon to pork roast – there’s a variety to satisfy every carnivore at the table.
For the vegetarian
You may not think that a steakhouse is a great place for a non-meat lover, but their salad bar goes beyond. In fact, I could have just feasted on it all night. (We even heard that Dylan from next door who is a vegetarian enjoys it and pops in!)
From fresh roasted vegetables, to cold, crisp vericots to even grilled provolone you can find an amazing plate of 50-60 different flavors to indulge in – or even introduce new foods to your toddler.
Not kidding that they host a little something for everyone, you can even find some fresh ahi tuna and simple California rolls. They aren’t trying to be the best at every cuisine in town, but they do offer fresh, healthy options for even the pickiest of eaters in your posse.
Desserts and adult beverages
Oh wait – did you just have to loosen your pants? We’re not done yet. Desserts are coming and you’re getting a piece. From creme brulee to classic New York-style cheesecake to chocolate on chocolate to (my favorite) carrot cake – you better make sure to bring your sweet tooth along for the ride.
Cause even parents need a cocktail – you’ll be happy to know they have an extensive top-notch wine list as well as signature drinks (that aren’t overly sugary and actually contain a punch of booze). They also offer after dinner drinks such as cappuccinos, and port wines.
What you didn’t know about Texas de Brazil
1. They’re actually family-owned – not a chain!
2. Quality Customer Service. Our waitress was on point, and super sweet. The guys who come around to your table? Personable! The GM, Joseph Mobilia, came over to our table just to see how everything was (without knowing I am press) and we ended up having a full-blown conversation with him. Since Lydia and both come from past service industry jobs, we love and appreciate quality customer service.
3. Elevators! The restaurant is two-levels and offers some pretty cool second-story views of the Upper East Side. And there’s a lovely elevator to get you and the kids (and even a stroller!) up there.
4. Kids eat free. Under two they’re free – ages 3-5 are only $5! And then children ages 6-12 are half the price of adults. That’s a pretty good deal and we love great deals in such an expensive city. (Adults are $59.99, or $39.99 for salad bar only).
5. Birthdays and private meetings. They have private areas so you can throw a meat filled fiesta for the family or company get together. Everyone is happy to bond over #meatsweats.
Win a free meal!
Want to win your own free meal at Texas de Brazil? Stop by to try out the foods (or happy hour!) and take a selfie with this little green/red sign and tag them on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #texasdebrazil.