Ok I am about to blow your minds with this one. You can call me Susie Homemaker, but really, when did it become more convenient to NOT make your own things at home? It really takes 5 minutes to make homemade playdough and it’s safe, non-toxic, and fun to get the kids involved in the process. Plus, the colors don’t stain!
Let’s keep it simple, shall we?
Simple Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (coconut oil works well too)
- food coloring, or you can use beet juice for red, orange juice for orange, spinach for green, etc.
1. Literally mix them all together. Even though you don’t have to bake it, I have found it is easier to heat it over the stovetop in a pot – the mixture melts easier and stirs in the colors better, but it’s not necessary. You should howeverstart by mixing the liquid ingredients first, and then adding the dry mixture.
2. If you do heat it up, make sure to let it sit out for about 30 minutes to cool off in a pile before letting the little ones play, or wrapping it up for storage.
3. Storage is simple – just place in an air-tight plastic bag to enjoy over and over again!